Saturday, February 21, 2009

Old Pictures


I've spent the better part of two days scanning and organizing old photos. One of the projects on my "Everything To Do" list is to digitize my parents photo albums. I am using the Flickr site and have created a group which is accessible to my siblings, their spouses, and my mother. What I like about putting the pictures out there on the web is that it enables each of us to have access to the pictures we want. I am also hoping that they will all add their own comments to the pictures (hint hint). I am particularly hoping that my mother will identify some of the older photos as some of them are of people and places I am unfamiliar with.

I found this picture of my grandfather particularly compelling. For me, it tells the story of an era . . . and a family. When I look at this picture I can smell the dust, the rubber, the fuel, the "barn smell." I can hear the insects, the tractor motor, the swish of a cows' tail. I can feel the warm sun on my skin and the strength of my grandfather's arms.

Anyone recognize the barn?

1 comment:

  1. I need you to send me this picture. I can't figure out how to get it off flickr without it being the size of a postage stamp. I want to have it printed out and put in a frame. Interesting that we were pulled to the same picture. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers