Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dogs and TV


Our Australian Shepherd, Copper, just turned 1 year. (We also have a Westie, Pippin, who is 6). I chose to get an Aussie after the passing of our border collie/sheltie mix passed away because I a) wanted something bigger; and b) wanted a dog I could train to herd goats. Not that I have any goats, but I would like to have goats. Some people (my brother perhaps and my husband for sure) would say "that's putting the cart before the horse." Nevertheless, I got an Aussie before I have any goats. Thus far, Copper has shown himself to be a wonderful animal. Personable, smart, easily trained. He also displays some "cat like" traits. He loves to bat things around the floor and is definitely ultra curious.

Several months ago friends of ours loaned us DVD's of a TV show called Due South (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108756/). It's the story of a Royal Canadian Mounted police officer who joins forces with the Chicago PD. I am thoroughly enjoying the series - thank you Mike and Roxi! Anyway, the Mounty (Fraser) has a dog/wolf. I think in the show it's supposed to be a wolf, but anyone can tell it's really a husky - not very wolf-like at all really.

Here is what I find fascinating . . . Copper actually seems to be watching the episodes. When the "wolf" barks, whines or moves on the TV - Copper stands at attention and has even looked behind the TV to see where the other dog went. I've never seen a dog "watch TV." It's really very funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers