Wednesday, January 21, 2009

About the Backyard











I called my blog "backyard living" because my backyard is my favorite place to be. I try to spend as much time as possible outside and frequently drag my children outside with me. During one of the first "snow days" this year I took my two boys, ages 8 & 12, along with our two dogs (a westie and an aussie) on a winter trek. There is a large swamp at the bottom of our yard which periodically is home to several beavers. The beaver house is currently unoccupied. They leave when their food source is depleted. Our trek included crossing the swamp and walking a half mile through the woods, exploring frozen streams, discovering many many turkey tracks (but no turkeys) climbing huge boulders and finding an old logging trail. The dogs had a great time and were a great help in finding a safe place to cross the stream. Exploring the woods in the winter is always an adventure because everything changes.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how completely different the woods around here are in each of the four seasons. Truly its like living in four different locations through the year if we spend the time observing. (I love the photos.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The winter woods are so beautiful. Especially after new snow. I didn't get the opportunity to be out much after a fresh snowfall, but hope for you that you will have the time now! Besides, kids and snow are made for each other!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers