Sunday, January 18, 2009

Rite of Passage

Our son, John, celebrates his 13th birthday today. This marks his entry into official "teenager" status. We will gather around the cake and candles - aunts, uncles, cousins and sing and make a big fuss. I wonder how much of the fuss is for him and how much is for his parents - an opportunity for us to rejoice the miracle that God gave us. I am particularly reflective this year becuase we are staying with my brother and his wife who are expecting their first child in April. How quickly the time goes. I remember so clearly how I felt when I was expecting John - like I was the first woman ever to have a baby.

I am remembering a book (one of my favorites) - There's No Such Place As Far Away by Richard Bach. It's been a long time since I read it, so I don't remember the exact words, but it tells the story of a child going to visit a friend for their birthday. Along the way she receives lots of wisdom from the birds who are her mode of travel. One of the birds doesn't understand the meaning of birthday - or growing up - because, she asks "isn't your friend already grown?" I think the idea is that we are where we are in our develpment - and can't be anywhere else. For me, it's a reminder to live in the moment.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it's the moments during the journey that gives the destination meaning. Enjoy the day and happy birthday to John.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers