Thursday, January 29, 2009

Backpacker Magazine

One of my favorite hobbies (and really I'm below novice level here) is backpacking. After reading the book Younger Next Year for Women I was inspired to do something . . . whatever was available right in my own backyard. I had always fantasized about what it would be like to sleep outside in the winter - when the cold air is so pure, and you are surrounded by the quiet hush of fallen snow - blue in the moon light. And so I did. I walked right out my back door and into the woods. In preparation for my first winter camping trip I subscribed to Backpacker Magazine (http://www.backpacker.com/). An article I read today is actually the topic of today's blog. I have lots of thoughts and ideas I will share in the future about Younger next year, hiking, winter camping etc. But for today I am going to reflect on this fact:

In 7 - 10 years, the glaciers at Glacier National Park and the Glacier at the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa will be gone. Not diminished, not smaller -- GONE. They have existed for 10,000 years and in my lifetime they will just . . . melt away. I can't lie. Sometimes the fear of change of this magnitude churns my stomach and scares me to death. But then I remember . . . this is God's world, not ours. BUT . . . like he gives us children to raise and nurture, so too, he has given us this earth. And it is our responsibility to nurture it. When I think about the power lines and NYRI and see the new gas pipeline going right past my house . . . I wonder. I wonder lots of things --- but mostly I am sad. Sad because so many people don't understand that the earth is a living thing and NEEDS us to take care of it. To nurture and respect this awesome thing that God has made available to us.

TREES
by: Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)
Think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

1 comment:

  1. I recently discovered your blog and wanted to bring your attention to a winter camping resource that you might find interesting and worth relaying to your readers - www.WinterCampers.com

    This not-for-profit web site focuses on winter camping in Upstate NY and the Adirondacks.

    There is a comprehensive collection of Winter Camping Articles from varied journals and newspapers.

    The discussion of Winter Camping Skills includes an article on How to Get Started Winter Camping, there are special tips on Leave No Trace for Winter Campers, there are Trip Logs and Photos from past adventures, how to build snow shelters, advanced Winter Camping Tips, Winter Camping Recipes and a Winter Camping Video.

    Winter Camping Gear includes several gear reviews, a Sample Gear List, a discussion of The Ten Essentials and examples of What’s In My Pack? by different winter campers.
    The Lighter Side of Winter Camping includes: a collection of Winter and Wilderness Survival Quizzes, a tongue in cheek Winter Camping Application, Winter Camping Poems, Winter Camping Quotes and the Top Ten List Reasons to Go Winter Camping.
    The BLOG has the latest winter camping news, pictures and chatter.

    Please give it your consideration.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers