Sunday, February 8, 2009

Birthday Memories

As I sat down this morning to do my daily "think" (that's what I call it when I take time to just sit and . . . well, think) I picked up my gratitude journal. I bought the journal twelve years ago when Mike and I went on vacation to Stowe, VT. We stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge. It's one of my fondest memories. We were able to go on the trip because of the generosity of Mike's parents - they provided the time share and the babysitting service for our almost one year old son, John. Anyway, I found the journal in a quaint bookstore in downtown Stowe. It was January, we had driven into Stowe late at night during a snow storm that left the area covered in two feet of beautiful powder. Throughout the years I have added entries to the journal and every once in a while I read them and am so grateful that I have these memories preserved. I don't know what year I wrote the following entry, but it had to be at least 10 years ago - John is 13 now. On February 16th I wrote: I am grateful to see my Dad play "This Little Piggie" with John. In 2001 I recounted this story: Feb 12; Dad's 60th birthday. On our way to Mom and Dad's for John's piano lesson I told him today was Grampa Bob's birthday. "How old is he?," John asked. "He is 60." John replied, in a very serious tone - "I guess that makes him old enough to be the man of the house."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers